CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 21, 2008

Happiness and Health

Going to do Happy today for first today: Big Lots Store. I went in to see if there were any more of the "Balance" Protein bars I bought a box a few weeks ago - 15 for $5.00 - Usually sell for $1.00 each or more. No more of those, but a box of 30 Fiber One bars for $5.00. The protein ones are a little more what we aim for, but we try for high fiber too. We affectionately call a lot of the cereals we eat twigs and woodchips! At Kroger a box of Fiber One is usually around $3.00 for 6 bars. YAY for a great bargain.

Health: Here is a concrete goal with timeline and reward. My current morning weight is usually around 218. By the end of April is will be UNDER 215. That means the scale will read 214.8 or less. Within one week of the first day the scale reads 214.8 or less I will reward myself with either: the DVD or the soundtrack "Magnolia," a movie in the theatre, OR a crossword puzzle book from Dollar Tree, depending on my financial situation at that time.

I hesitated about putting the actual number here because I am a little embarrassed, but decided to go for it. Here is the scoop. My highest weight ever is 234. When I lost the weight before and felt really fit, the year I hiked Timpanogos, I was down to 180. I have always thought my goal weight should be 150. My wellness coach at the insurance place says more like 172 or something, I'd have to check. My current mid-range goal is to be under 200 by August. I am basing that on a couple of things. Number 1, that is when my 25 year class reunion is - even though I am starting to lean more toward not going, unless Byron comes from New York, or Jeff comes from Virginia. Number two, that amount of weight represents about the 10% that is supposed to be the magic number that will start me toward decreasing my medications and reducing my heart risk etc. My cholesterol is fantastic, but my triglycerides are very high and I think having them way out of proportion is directly related to the abdominal obesity and a very bad heart attack risk. My goal is to live at least until Michael graduates from high school so he never has to go live with his dad, so I have to last at least two a half more years.

When I lost the weight before I lost 8 - 10 pounds a month. I decided to go much slower this time. I think I can make a more permanent lifestyle change. I think can do it with less risk of injury (What hung me up last time was a stress fracture from too many miles and then I started gaining it back!). Also because of my now chronic illnesses and the recent acute illnesses I am trying to be kinder to my body and last time I was VERY strict with my exercise regimen and unforgiving of errors or omissions.

Most weight loss people say that you shouldn't weigh yourself daily because it is too discouraging. I need to weigh myself daily, however to make sure I don't gain 10 or 12 pounds overnight because of kidney failure.... So my morning weight is what I count. I will try to remember to record it daily and believe me y'all will know when I hit 214.8. I will also make sure that you know I really do reward myself when Appropriate. I think that is one reason I have gotten a little discouraged. I always think I want a CD reward and then feel like I can't afford it. So I thought of an always affordable reward that will still be a rare treat that I can get even if it is a "poor week" when (not if!) I hit the goal!

Going to sign off and go do 10 minutes before the 11:00 showing of What Not to Wear comes on. I may need to get the cable off soon and I will be sad. We have had a great bargain because of combination of cable and internet given by my friend who works at cable company but Comcast took over and they are raising everything, so I may not get my special much longer, may not get to keep cable, may have to go back to dial-up. :(

2 comments:

Deb said...

Confessions of this Californian:

...the last in my family to get a VCR then a DVD player, to own a cell phone, and still grooving with dail-up. Some things have not seemed important to me.

I think of dial-up like walking to the store. It's not as fast but it gets the job done. xo

Hope said...

The money saved will definitely be more important than speed to me too, if it has to happen, but I will miss good TV, although maybe not so much in the summer. We don't get ANY channels without cable, except every once in a blue moon the Christian station, in which I have NO interest.