CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

More drunken adventures!

No, not me and Pat!

Michael had a concert tonight. On the way home we passed a man sitting by the side of the road. It's nine degrees right now, with a wind. We drove past and I said, "We'll turn around and if he's still there we'll call 911." We turned around and went back and he was belly crawling across the street - so basically lying in the middle of the street. I turned on my hazard lights and stopped in front of him. Another guy stopped and he and Michael got out and helped him out of the street while I called 911. The cops were there in a couple of minutes and this guy could not stand up so badly that strong Michael and other big guy even dropped him once. When the cops got there they knew him - must be a frequent flyer. The cops asked if we would take him home, but I said I wasn't really comfortable letting him in the car so Michael and the other guy were preparing to walk him home. It was about a block. Then the guy said he is also diabetic and thought his sugar was off, so the cops decided to go ahead and call an ambulance for him. I am glad they decided to call an ambulance. I really think it was the appropriate thing to do in the first place. As a matter of fact when I called I requested to dispatch an ambulance as well as police, but I guess they let the police make that decision as first responders. We were only a couple of blocks away from the hospital anyway, so I guess it wouldn't take a lot of time for the ambulance to get there. I hope he didn't get any frostbite. He had a coat, but it was open and had only a t-shirt underneath, and he had no gloves. That's how my hopeless crush ended up with one leg - a bad case of frostbite on a foot. Yuck. Poor guy (tonight's guy, not hopeless crush).

I must have a knack for finding drunks...

Positive thoughts that this man will be cared for at least tonight, and maybesomeone can find a longer term help for him.

No comments: