CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Varied topics:

Cheesecakes:
Amber's question re: water bath. I have tried the water bath and mine still usually crack on top. My solution to that is to always plan some kind of decor or topping to hide the crack. A ganache, or on a "turtle" cheesecake I drizzle melted caramel and chocolate, on the chocolate I drizzle melted chocolate, on the lemon cheesecake, I serve with blueberry or raspberry sauce, on the peanut butter I drizzle melted peanut butter --- see I just hide my flaws and everybody ooh and aahs and says, "it looks so professional!" and they just don't know that I just can't figure out how to keep it from cracking!

Boxes: I looked online today and found one site where if I order 100 12x12 boxes they are under $1 ea and I have been paying $2 ea to buy them individually and it is a pain in the ass. Usually about 80% of them on the shelf have tabs torn off. I am going to make a goal to call by the end of the next week and get an appointment at the small business support center and find out about some stuff. I don't really have a lot of capital (read any) but I think even when I am spending these little bits of money on boxes and ingredients and donating stuff, etc. I ought to be saving my receipts and learn how to deduct them as business expenses and such...

The event tonight went fairly well. At first I thought the speaker was boring as hell, but then he got better. He showed some clips of his reports from Afghanistan which was kind of interesting after having read what's his names books... (Hassad Khoulin?) He had done a lot about the opium poppies and how addiction had never been a problem there but it is growing now that it is one of the few ways the people can make any money. He also showed about this one man who started an airline in Afghanistan and how he lives, etc. Interesting contrast. Then he spoke some about his recent work in Iraq and showed some clips of his work from there.

I didn't enjoy the food as much tonight. Not enough vegetables. No salad. Too much white pasta.

Michael came over after bike project and ate dessert.

Then we drove by Rachael's Cafe and he was ERIC tonight! I was so surprised. I thought S/he was always going to be Rachael at the cafe. I took him some of the leftover lemon cheesecake so he could try it. He hosted an Obama fund raiser at his place tonight and still had live music going so we just dropped it and left quickly. I need to get in and talk business soon.

Tomorrow is work and Thursday is busy, then cello lesson, THEN we have to sneak dinner in there somewhere, THEN orchestra rehearsal, during which Nikki and I have planned to walk doggies. I hope she still wants to. She has had a rough week.

Okay. I have sat way too much today and my ankles are SWOLLEN. I need to drink half a gallon of water, take some medicine and get my butt to bed. I hope I don't pee the bed.

Amber, tell Hannah that Dad called me today and said they are putting house up for sale. Tell her a million thanks for her part in it. I'm assuming she has made it back to Utah and is not lost on her way to Indianapolis International Airport.

Happy today for:
Good, good people all around me. Too many to name some days. People who try to do right in the world and people who treat me kindly.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I do the same with cheesecakes. I've never gotten them to not crack. You should be keeping track of expenses and such- the cheesecake I made for Barbara's wedding cost $40 in just ingredients.

How/Why did Hannah talk to your parents about moving? Is there a plan?

She did make it back to Utah safely.