CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Doubles:


Double cheesecakes: TWO lemon cheesecakes for tomorrow's fund raiser for Gretchen. I doubled the recipe and did two at once which worries me. Theoretically, it should work, but that is not always true with baking. This particular recipe also has a lot of eggs and egg whites and mixing and it is kind of scary.... Also baking times will probably be affected because of two in the oven at the same time. We'll see in a little while! They are in the oven right now.

Double rejection: (yesterday) I asked Tamyra could I bring a guest based on the double cheesecake donation and she agreed. I got my nerve up and asked secret crush at work! Turns out, however, that he is leaving for Jazz Fest in New Orleans on Wednesday. So being already nervy, I emailed guy from class and asked HIM! He emailed back and said he didn't want to go to this because he is "not political" and would feel uncomfortable, but that he is "open to future suggestions."

So I responded:
I understand on the political thing. I'm pretty
comfortable with Gretchen, but I am afraid the German
film maker will be boring boring boring....

"I'm open for future suggestions, though."

Me too. I enjoy a lot of what Bloomington has to
offer, especially now that the weather is nice! If you
see something that interests you, let me know. I'm
usually game. Last night I had a nice walk on the
loop up by Lake Griffy. I'm slow, but steady...

There is an article in the paper today on page E2,
that now Baxter has Heparin recall because of getting
some bad raw ingredients from a Chinese manufacturer.
Heparin is sure a thorn in the side for Baxter in many
ways lately!

I thought my response indicated:
1) that he could do the asking if he wants
2) that even though I'm fat I like to do outdoors and active stuff
3) I have diverse interests and available time
4) then brings us back around to where we met and have common interests

Savvy?

Back to double cheesecakes. Alton Brown said when he makes a layer cake he weighs each pan to make sure he has the same amount of batter in each one. Amber, what do you do? I just eyeballed these.... Do you weigh it? Measure it? Eyeball it?

I received an email from a client I worked with when I was a classified rep about how we should not elect Obama because he is probably Muslim. It was entitled something like "Praise Allah? Or the Lord Jesus Christ!" I was completely offended. I can't believe the stuff people email on their professional emails and she had also shown her email address list and had sent it to several newspapers and some in large cities! She is a representative of a national company out of Atlanta and could probably be fired for something like this. I felt like either a) contacting a supervisor and getting it done b) emailing back and telling her I am a Muslim or c) just emailing her and saying she must have made a mistake and didn't realize she accidentally sent that to her professional contacts and not her personal contacts because I know she would never do anything like that. Instead I did nothing. I talked to one of my managers about it a little bit and she advised the nothing. She did direct me to a You tube that her sister made, however that I want to share with you if I can manage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09gY5Qc4gY

Well, I'll just paste the link because I don't know how to save the file and then upload it.

But go watch it. It's only a few seconds and it's pretty neat.

Happy today for: Store brand foods that are so much cheaper. Remember when they first introduced "generics" and they came with white labels with army green stripes and black printing that just said "GREEN BEANS" and very tiny on the back said like, "Eisner Food Stores" Now it's Kroger this and Trader Joe's that. Sometimes the store brands can ALMOST be as expensive as the other brands, but not usually. There are not TOO many things I think I have to have brand name of any more. (Claussen pickles!)

Look what I found: Imagine the Cola picture is here. I can't figure out how to make it be anywhere but the top.

And here's the link to the Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_brand

When it says "Jewel" Food stores, that's what used to be called Eisner in Indiana. Later they changed to Jewel here also - turned out I think they were part of Albertson's, just the midwest division.

P.S. The cheesecakes are out of the oven. They look good, smell terrific. Now I have a toting dilemma to solve. The damn store was out of cake boxes today and he said they wouldn't be in until Thursday. I only have one cake toter right now, various ones being left various places...I swear I need to buy like 100 cake boxes and just have them, but then there's that capital to get started thing again. Sigh...

1 comment:

Amber said...

Wow- long post with lots of information.

Cheesecake question- do you do a water bath to cook them?

Bummer on the double rejection. But yay on the future suggestions!

I layer the majority of my cakes- but I use 3" pans and cut them (eyeballing it) to torte. I generally measure the batter (5 cups for an 8 inch pan etc) to divvy it up correctly.

It offends me to receive religious or politically charged or 'guilt' emails of any kind- but more especially emails that are hearsay or blatantly false or narrow minded. Those are just emails that I get from family members and friends- if I got something like that from someone work related I'd be pissed.

Yay for yummy cheesecake! I have an assortment of boxes and boards on hand- but I'd like to have a better assortment. If you lived closer we could split an order! I know if you order them online you can get them for like $.29 a box (including shipping) but you have to order a bunch to get them at that price.