CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Planned ahead

for tonight.

Went home for lunch and made dinner for tonight. Michael has an orchestra rehearsal from 7 - 8:00. He is downtown being a hippie now (war protest/ peace demonstration) until 6:00. So I made fried rice (vegetarian) and brought it back to work with me to heat up. I will go pick him up, we can eat at the park, I can take him back to school for orch. Then Nikki is going to bring a dog for me to walk and meet me at the park so we can walk while Michael is playing. All the guys will stare because I will be with hot, young Nikki and I can pretend they are watching me! :)

I am worried about my diet, catering to Michael's vegetarianism. My cholesterol is great right now because my protein sources are usually very lean meats. BUT if I try to provide alternate protein sources for him and they are often eggs and cheese and then I partake what might that do to my cholesterol? Today I used two eggs in the fried rice - traditionally I would also use white meat chicken, but today I also added slivered almonds. They are also supposed to have the right kinds of fats and also Omega 3s, which should help my triglyceride problem. Hmmm... I told him I would not cook vegetarian for him all the time and I want to find a balance that is good for both of us.

I hate tofu, by the way. And Michael asked me to buy tofu for him and then the same day told me he thinks he is allergic to soy. Gillian says she thinks tofu might have a different affect because of the way it's processed so I might go ahead and get some.

Anybody have any suggestions? I may have to read some more. Sigh. I hate non-fiction reading and researching stuff.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Well, for one, I would not spend too much energy catering to a new vegetarian. If he wants to eat veggie, then he is going to have to take over at least half of the cooking. Also, when you make foods with your lean protein sources, make enough for at least two meals of leftovers, so you can eat it twice more (one lunch, one dinner) during the week. I mean, it's nice that he's all concerned about ethical eating, but his concerns simply can't be at the expense of your long term health. If he's going to make these kinds of decisions, then he needs to implement them.

I was very supportive of my daughter's vegetarianism when she was that age, but I didn't have cholesterol or other health issues.

Beans are a very good source of protein that are low cholesterol/low fat.

Hope said...

Beans now count as a carb for diabetics and not a protein. So he can eat beans for his protein, but I can't. So when we had burritos for dinner I made meat and had beans available for him. Yeah - my myriad health issues complicate it more. He is pretty cognizant of them and has been cooking more since his decision. He will start dinner before I get home to sort of pre-empt whatever I might make. We do have a couple of vegetarian cookbooks and he has talked about reading them and using them for ideas.

I did my first quarter uberlist update today and noted that my goal to try two new vegetarian main dish recipes this year will probably be far exceeded! I think I posted it on the uberlist site, but haven't posted it here yet. Gee, if I post it here today it will be a marathon posting day for me!