CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Picture Post




This is a beautiful salad I made a few months ago. Picture worthy - it was supposed to be a "seven layer salad" but I found so many things I liked n all the recipes I looked at that mine ended up with more layers - I think ten.

I am currently reading a novel by Anita Shreve called "Fortune's Rocks." It is about an affair between a man who is about forty and a teenage girl. Here is a quote from it:

... as she watches, she discovers that a dream creates a nonexistent intimacy, that one feels all the next day after the dream, as though certain words have been said or actions taken which have not. So that the object of the dream feels familiar, when in fact, no familiarity exists at all.

When I read that it really struck me that maybe that is what happens and I get a crush on someone so easily. That my imagination is so adept at making an event seem almost real that it seems my dreams might become a reality. I am not saying that I am living in some alternate universe or that so and so isn't really my friend, or that hopeless crush wasn't really my most reliable support during the Roma crisis, but it's that dream that makes it seem to me as if it will continue... the friendship may grow into in love, the support will grow into trust, the affection will blossom into desire... I don't think it's a bad thing or a psycho thing. I do think it can lead to false hopes and disappointment, however. I guess it is to my advantage that I feel like once I realize the disappointment I use these experiences for personal growth. For example I am learning more about setting boundaries. I am learning more about trust (good and bad). I am learning more about communication. All the learning is good, it is too bad that sometimes it comes from a painful shot of reality.

This reminds me that I should update my Goodreads and my reading log. I am not sure how many books I have completed this year and I am pretty sure I am due for some non-fiction. I also have a goal to read one self-improvement book this year. and I am pretty sure I haven't done that yet. It is also time for an uberlist update - end of the third quarter. Maybe I will get to that this weekend.

Happy today for Emily called me to see how my day went with the job changes at work. I was kind of grumpy about it, but I know she really cares how I feel about it and loves me. I have such amazing and wonderful children. Happy happy.

Also I went to Dollar Tree to look for cassette tapes and they had "Goo Gone." I know someone who needs a bottle and I can't wait to give an anonymous gift!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Pretty salad! I enjoy eating pretty food. :D

Have you read Three Cups of Tea yet?

Hope said...

I haven't yet. It is currently making the rounds of the readers at work so I should get it soon, I think.

Sarah Mae said...

I am currently reading "Tuesdays with Morrie" it is a memoir, but is written like a fiction, plus it is all about life lessons and I have enjoyed it so far. You could count it as a non-fiction and a self-help book. Just a thought.

Hope said...

This sounds crazy, I know. For some reason I am opposed to reading or seeing the film "Tuesdays with Morrie." So many people recommend it and love it, but the idea of it bothers me. You know how psycho I can be once I get something in my head... I have the same thing with "The Secret" "The Last Lecture" and a couple of other books/films etc... that other people love.