CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 23, 2009

It finally happened...

Michael got hit by a car, but don't worry he is A-OK. It was the driver's fault, she turned and hit him. He realized that she was going to hit him so he steered away and it just barely got him before she stopped. It didn't even knock him over. It did knock his chain off and his toe clip. She felt really bad and was kind and gave him and his bike a lift the rest of the way to school. He fixed it after school and rode home and now he is off riding to Bike Project... He didn't even tell me until after he got home from school. Funny thing and kind of ironic is that we left at the same time today and he went one road and I went the other and as I went through one intersection by the fire department the rescue truck was going out and heading toward Michael's road and my imagination said, "Oh Michael probably got hit by a car today." That wasn't for him, though, he got hit later, closer in town...I always worry about him on that bike, but it is a vital part of his life and independence. He turned it into a reason to say, "Mom, if I had monkeylectric lights, she would have seen me."

I actually do sort of plan to buy him some with the next influx of money I plan to get. It is designated for the remainder of surgery bills, patio door replacement, France food money and monkeylectric lights. I kind of hope for Japan food money out of it too, but I am not exactly sure how the budgeting is going to work. I haven't totalled the amount necessary to finish off the surgery bills.

I have still had major headache today. I am SO tired of being sick. It is just terrible that I want to get back in the habit of intentional movement every day, and I can't even imagine doing fifteen minutes. Like I am waiting for check by mail for said influx of money and I tried to tell myself I could only check the mail if I walked - there and back is about fifteen minutes - but I just drove by in the car on the way home. It's so awful. It was even a little warmer and sunny at the time. I guess all I can do is hope that when it is much warmer and I am over this congestion/cough/headache thing I have been fighting for over two weeks now that I will be able to do it.

Hippie Boy made dinner tonight and made burrritos (bean only ugh) and cut up lots of veggies. He just finished telling me how much he loves this brand of tortillas I buy. The package said "contains as much calcium as a glass of milk" so he read the ingredients far enough to see if it was added in. Then while he was making his second burrito I read the ingredients to see what form it was in and found that they are also enriched with fish oil! So not vegetarian by Michael's standards. I thought about not telling him, but I would have felt dishonest. So now I have to start looking for other whole-grain, perfectly textured VEGETARIAN tortillas! Who would have ever thought... but they are trying to make them more nutritious by adding the fish oil for the Omega 3s. Sigh.... I'm sure there are some at the Co-op, but they probably cost an extra dollar and he eats tortillas probably every day. He makes wraps instead of sandwiches all the time because they hold hummus and veggies better. The complexities of feeding one vegetarian person who is supposed to be adding MORE carbs and fats to his diet and feeding an omnivorous person who is supposed to be having fewer carbs and fats in her diet, yet want to eat dinner together many nights each week is challenging! Sigh on that one!

Well positive thoughts toward a restful evening. I want to get warm, put away the dinner stuff and do dishes. And you know what! I am going to set my timer and freaking DANCE for fifteen minutes. I KNOW I have it in me. The end.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I'm glad he's okay! Scary! That does seem like a people feeding conundrum you've got there. My new favorite tortillas are the uncooked ones from Costco. I have no idea if they have animal stuff in them or not. They probably have lard. ;)

Deb said...

Hey, Amber, not to worry--if Costco carries them across the board, the ones at my Costco are made with canola oil.