CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 2, 2009

I haven't done a thing...

in the house all day except make more messes! I started cleaning out the hall closet yesterday... or was it Saturday? Anyway, there are still items strewn about the hallway which either need trashed, recycled or need new homes. In my SCADS of shopping Saturday I purchased an organization tool for placing the scarves, hats, gloves and things which were previous tossed in a cardboard box and half buried under the air mattress... This closet was so messy that the door couldn't shut completely. It was like a "Zits" cartoon would show Jeremy's closet only in real life, and all adult made. Argh. Now the succeeding mess on the floor needs cleaned up. I trip on the air mattress every time I walk out to the living room, but I don't know yet where its new home will be. At least I could put it in the garage without fear of a cat peeing on it! That's probably where it will end up.

Orchestra meeting. Hilarious. People can get so off subject that it's insane. Jane was so tired from solo/ ensemble all day Saturday, then she gave the football party last night! At one point she was screaming at us like she screams at the kids, "I need you to make some decisions now!" I was laughing at her so hard I thought I would pee my pants. Nobody else was listening so I just turned to her and said, "Write this down. We're having an electronic auction, not an event with a silent auction. Every family with a student going is responsible for getting one item with a minimum value of $25 donated. The families should not purchase items to donate. Deadline for donations is March 1. Items will be cataloged and on the website by March 15th. Bidding is March 16 - April 1. Delivery is promised by April 30." The end. And that is what we're doing! There just comes a point when SOMEBODY has to say it and make it GET DONE. I am often that one, because if it doesn't get said or done soon enough I will start swearing and that is NOT a pretty sight!

Tomorrow I am going to call the mall office and ask them if I can have 50 brochures about their prepaid Visa cards to take to the parent meeting on Wednesday. While I am there I will also ask them if they can donate a gift card to the auction. We'll see how that goes. I figure if I am asking them for promotional materials by which they will make money, they can ask corporate if they donate to our cause!

I have trouble asking for donations because so many businesses in town are advertisers. I sign a conflict of interest form each year and many businesses consider charitable donations part of their advertising budget so it is a fine line... I always kind of figure the orchestra is non-profit so it is not really a competitor, but I think about it.

Positive thoughts today are for ME. I am glad I am able to see when there is really a need for leadership and just do it. I don't like being totally "in charge" of an event because I tend to control freak out and not delegate, but in times like tonight I have the balls to make it happen when it needs to. Also positive thoughts toward a fruitful inquiry at the mall tomorrow.

And now I must decide to leave the house messy and go to bed for some much needed rest or try to tidy a little first. It's a little late to try the 10 minute increment method tonight. I think it's either do it or not!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Call Restoration Hardware at Keystone at the Crossing. They always have to throw away those sheets and stuff that they use as displays, unless they have someone to donate them to. And they are like 300 dollar sheets. Then, you could pick them up while you're here.
Heather