CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Brunch is done.

I think about 10 women in and out as the time passed. I served a simple menu: breakfast casserole, bread, yogurt, cottage cheese, fresh fruit. I made the bread with the whole wheat beer bread recipe, added in flax meal (we're trying to get more flax in Michael's diet as a good fat), dried apricots, pecans and cinnamon and nutmeg. It was YUM, but could have been a little more moist...I think that's the problem with a fat free bread - you have to watch the baking time very carefully. The breakfast casserole I looked up a recipe on allrecipes .com, then totally changed it, of course. It ended up with eggs, ricotta, onion, mushroom, spinach, potatoes, cheese and sausage. It was my favorite part. I also had teas, coffee and juices. I finally gave in to the cost and bought a bottle of sparking wine last night, in case anybody wanted a mimosa to start Valentine's Day! Nobody went for it, however, so now I need someone to share a bottle of "champagne" with me. I guess I will save it for the next party. I had cute little bags of party favors that were Rolos and Hershey kisses. I intended to make little tags that said "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold." I never got to the tag making point, however, so I just said it.

The purpose of this brunch was an opportunity for me to reinforce some friendships and have friends from different factions of my life merge a little. I had friends from church, Women Inspire, work, and different parts of life all come together. I felt like that part was successful because one of the things I heard lots of while I was finishing up the food was, "How do you know Hope?" and then talking about themselves to each other. I was really happy Jennifer came all the way down from Hebron (Very top of the state!) to come to my brunch. We hadn't seen each other I think since Michael and I went up there August 2007. That's just too long. Jennifer and I are not very huggy with each other, but I needed to give her a BIG hug when she got here! I've never been very huggy, but it's funny how it's different with different people. Like Loni is VERY huggy, so I have learned to just accept them from her and not feel strange.

My idea for my next party is for a pitch-in with a catch. You are not allowed to buy anything special for the party. You must already have it in the house. So I need to think of a clever way to invite people, yet tell them right before they come that they have to bring something... Then if we end up with ingredients we'll cook, or if we have snacks and hors doerves we'll have that, or if we end up with flour and water, we'll make papier mache... It won't be a "Come as you are," but a "Come with what you have" party. I have to learn to spell hord'vores sometime, don't I? I spell it so badly spell check can't even tell what I'm trying to do. Maybe that should be a goal on my list for starting my catering business?

I am pretty tired. Michael went to a bike "race" last night that didn't start until 9:00. He ended up calling for a ride home after midnight because his rear light was pooping out. I had planned to do a lot more to prepare for the brunch last night, but getting him and then picking up his water bottle he had left in another spot took up a lot of my time. I also realize he has a gig tonight to play for some kind of dance. He keeps telling me he wants to rig the bike trailer to be able to haul the cello and I flat refuse. The cello is too valuable and not replaceable if destroyed. It would sure be nice to not have to drive him to these gigs, however! SO, I think I am going to go lie in my bed for a while and rest, maybe sleep. At least read a lot more of Inkheart. i think I am a little more than halfway through. It's an easy read, but because I have been so sick I have been sleeping instead of reading.

Here's irony for you... the married man who wants to have an affair with me TEXTED me to tell me Happy Valentine's Day. Ha! How romantic. I texted back that his action was sort of ironic considering his situation, but that I hope he has a nice day too and that I had held my brunch and indeed am having a happy Valentine's Day. Sheesh!

Now off to sleep or at least rest for a while. My mini vacation starts tomorrow! Maybe I should take my bottle of "sparkling wine" with me just in case....

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hors d'Ĺ“uvre

Lisa said...

fun little bit of info...

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1211230