CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 4, 2008

300+ miles

Up to Emily's apartment, out to lunch, over to Mom and Dad's, back to Emily's, over to Michael's Dad's, back to Bloomington to orchestra fund raiser, back home. Phew!

We went to Mom and Dad's to pick up a sewing machine so I could bring it home and see if I can use it.

Two things: I stood in the middle - well, kind of the middle - I couldn't really GET in the middle - of my dad's room and just bawled. I don't know how they can live like they do. The houses on "Clean Sweep" are NOTHING compared to how crowded, messy and dangerous my parent's house is. I have gone before and cleaned and taken stuff away and it just doesn't help. I always try to work in the kitchen because it is so awful. There is always rotten food and stuff. They have like fifty pots and pans and twenty place settings of dishes and two drawers full of silverware and more. But once when I went through and took out a bunch of worn out pots and pans, they went out and bought more! They have a closet full of maybe 30 bath towels.... I don't know where it comes from, maybe the depression or maybe the poverty when we were young. But it is just so awful. I don't think there is anything I can do to help and that is what made me cry. I stood there and I said, "I know I can't fix the world, but I can't even fix THIS ROOM."

Other thing: The sewing machine looks really scary. It's kind of cool, but it is from 1969 - the manufacture date is written on it. It is electric, but it still has a rubber belt on the end with a wheel and stuff. It is so heavy it is like it is made of solid steel. It was even hard for Michael to carry. Of course it was made much more difficult because he had to lift it high enough to get it over all the crap that is all over the floor and lines every wall and hallway in the house. Now he's at his dad's and I don't know how in the heck I will get it in from the car. I may have to ask the neighbor boy to help me. I really want to get it in this weekend so I can see if I can figure out how to work it. I guess even if I can't it is one thing I got out of Mom and Dad's house. It is in a cabinet and the cabinet is actually quite a lovely little piece of furniture.

Orchestra fund raiser - "Hot Jazz on a cool night." I thought I was going to work for the entire three hours. I don't like jazz, even though I know that means I am a heathen. Turns out I only worked about an hour and a half so I only had to listen to one set, which was at least guitar and vocal jazz. The jazz I really hate is when it is a band or ensemble and they take turns and improvise FOREVER and it just goes on and on and on...

I saw quite a few hawks as we drove a long the highway today.

Little happy thing: I liked hearing "Walk This Way" on the radio. I think it was kind of creepy hearing him sing about high school girls when he was in his twenties - it's even creepier now when you think that Steven Tyler is somebody's grandfather! But it's still a good song!

Another random weird thing that makes me happy. When we go on 465 it goes right under a landing path for the airport. I get a HUGE thrill when we go right under a big jet when it is landing. It didn't quite happen today, one was coming, but we were too far away and it beat us, but it made me remember how it is one of those strange things I love.

I am probably going to work on my uberlist this weekend. I also want to read a lot, exercise and bake. I have a box started of stuff to take to the trading Post at the the dump. I am feeling ready for a purge and Michael added some from his room too. I am probably more inspired after spending even just a few minutes at my parent's house.

No comments: