CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Eating Disorder...

Really. Tonight was the final night of the Diabetes Care refresher class. They take you out to a buffet intent on publicly humiliating you for your food choices. Remember when I did this three of four years ago I almost didn't return for the rest of the class? Same issue. I was almost in tears and extremely agitated by the end of dinner. I cannot deal with having my food choices evaluated in public. My stress was added to by the fact that the Diabetes Educators wore their hospital name tags at the restaurant. I really felt like my patient privacy was violated. I am already self conscious about what I eat in public because I am so fat. I judge myself harshly and feel like others are probably judging me also. Then to have it made official and known that I am a fat diabetic felt shameful and embarrassing to me. I made sure to note it on the evaluation form for the class. It took a great deal of personal strength to go to the classroom instead of coming home after the dinner. I took an Ativan on the way to the classroom and I still hadn't settled down after a couple of hours. Ha! I bet I burned off every calorie from dinner because I was so agitated I fidgeted the entire time.

I know my sugars are great (did I tell you my A1C was 6.0 last week?), my weight is down and I am feeling better and treating myself more kindly with my women's groups and activities and things like that. Even knowing these things my self-esteem and emotional issues made the public dinner something I probably should have chosen not to attend.

I did set two goals tonight for the next month: to attend the support group, and to log my sugars in writing. I'll try to remember to return and report on those.

Happy today for: Michael turned the porch light on for me when he knew I'd be coming home after dark. It is something I always try to do for him, and I really appreciated it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of that before. That's complete crap! My diabetic classes were much nicer than that! Argh. We just brought resturaunt menues into the class and discussed them.
Heather

Deb said...

Acknowledging Michael's spirit of reciprocity, I bow.

Applauding light in all its forms,

Deb

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of that before..NOT out in public. I mean I have done that in the hospital cafeteria!!! I am so glad you noted it.

I understand exactly how you feel about it all. <3 you.