CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Baking, Baking, Baking....

The first sixty cookies are in the oven, the next thirty on the tray ready to go in. I figure about one hundred cookies per batch so I can probably get three hundred samples done by about 1:00. We shall see.

Dad's party went well. I had too many veggies and not enough cheese and sausage. I think the older people aren't used to the idea of veggie trays and dip? I may have to remember that for future caterings. With my table cloth fetish I have enough white cloths for 3 long seating tables, a display table, the food table, and a cake table...I will have to remember not to buy anymore white tablecloths unless I start doing the type of catering where it matters that they really match and all that, but I don't really want "fancy" parties. I have decided it's "Hope's Homemades - like you would do it if you could."

Speaking of table cloths, I wanted to take my red and white checked ones for our booth tomorrow, but didn't communicate that to Bobbi so she's planning to take hers. Maybe I will take mine and hope everyone thinks it's cuter. I think it seems so "farmy" and homeish...

I hope I get up in time in the morning that I can stop by the office and print a sign for my cookies that displays the name prominently and also has an ingredients list for allergic people. I also want to make a name tag. Michael came home with a nifty name tag from a research Symposium he attended. I can just slip his thing out and put mine in. I bought pink flowery paper that's not the same, but similar enough in color to the personal cards I use that I think it will look good. I don't really plan to hand out cards because I don't have the cell phone I am going to use for the business AND I am not really ready to operate, but I want to start getting the name in peoples' heads. I think I will make a sheet where people can give me an email if they would like to receive word when I am ready to operate, also. Then I can start my first marketing stuff. Smarty-pants, huh?

Phew! I learned from the first batch that I have trouble making small cookies. It's NOT my style. Also small cookies actually bake differently. They are more likely to be crispy instead of chewy (I prefer chewy) because they will spread out more with less mass of dough. I put fewer oats in this second batch hoping the higher ratio of fats will make them spread less - or it could have the opposite effect. We'll see in a few minutes! I know that I am also going to make a FEW of my regular size cookies to display so people can see that these are sample sizes and if they order a couple of dozen cookies they will get their money's worth!

Gosh I am on batch three and it's 1:30. I guess I'll aim for 2:00 and do cleanup tomorrow. I'm pretty darn tired. Lots of driving today. party giving, spending money at a restaurant that I was reluctant to spend, and being with sad Michael as I took him to his dad's. That was probably the hardest part... oh, let's see - I also rear-ended a car at a stoplight on the way to Lafayette. She was in a big SUV with a rubber bumper, however and it didn't do a thing to her car. My paint on my front bumper was all messed up, but it didn't leave any on hers! She was fine with it and we didn't even exchange names or anything so that was a relief. I was a bad driver today. I actually hit that SUV. I changed lanes without checking the blind spot once and the guy had to slam on the brakes, AND I went the wrong way down a one way street. Usually "I'm an excellent driver," I think I was nervous and distracted by all that is going on this weekend. I was better on the way home, even though it was a longer trip because of taking Michael to Ed's, but I think with the party part over I was not so nervous. Social situations are hard for me. Tomorrow it will be different because I will put on my friendly, professional demeanor character and she does well in those situations.

Well last batch ought to be cool enough to out in container. I will plate the big ones so they are pretty. Maybe I'll use a Fiestaware plate. they look nice.

So positive thuoghts for my professional character. May she be alive and well in the morning and ready to face hundreds of people. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: