CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Good Day!

I got everything on the list done except the mulch and that was because when I planted the flowers I kept feeling dizzy every time I stood back up. I decided I needed to wait another day before I did all the stooping and stuff the mulch would take.

Good thing:

I talked to Mom and Dad today. I talked to Dad about helping in the house and he started out just like he always does that they don't want me to feel like I need to come and do that. We talked a little more and I told him that Heather and I had talked about helping them and that Heather is concerned that we don't be jerks and go in and say, "You have too much stuff and you have to get rid of it and we're going to throw it all away. Oh and by the way, you should be happy and grateful." I told him that our idea is to start by taking care of the things that are precious to them and packing them carefully and labeling them so that the things they want and need to keep and take to the apartment with them will be protected and ready to go. That way if the house should sell or an apartment come open quickly those things will be ready. I mentioned things like Grandpa Holt's Letter carrier hat, and Dad mentioned his first edition books. He said he knows they are not worth a lot of money, but they really mean something to HIM and that he would like to keep them. I really feel good about taking this approach as a good way to start and having them feel okay about us helping them be ready to move and getting the house less cluttered and ready to sell.

I am going to start bringing home LOTS of boxes from work. For Mom and Dad's and for Stephanie. Kevin (her husband) told her he's moving out Tuesday, but just to a temporary place so he is not taking his stuff. I said we need to get boxes and pack up what he doesn't take and start reclaiming the house as HER space, both physically and psychologically. If she is going to have to be a single mother when she doesn't want to be, it is her right to do it without his stuff around that has always driven her nuts and been part of the conflict in the first place. I don't think of it in a mean way - like, well, we'll show the bastard, but just that if this is the decision he is going to make then he needs to be prepared to have it followed through with all the implications and that means not using the house as a storage space for his stuff until he gets a place to live for real.

I have the sewing machine out and the ironing board and all the stuff out so I am really ready to start Miko's dress. I also wound a bobbin in navy blue so I can hem some pants I bought WEEKS ago and haven't worn yet because they are too long. I have cut them off already and now I just need to do the sewing part! Maybe I will get them done and have new pants to wear to work tomorrow. YAY. I have been alternating two pairs of pants Monday through Thursday and then my jeans on Friday. I really could wear jeans though the week too, but I try not to do it because the sales reps can't.

1 comment:

Sarah Mae said...

I am glad that they have consented to let you and Heather help. I wanted to do something, but felt so out of place. I am glad that there can be a peacable solution to it.