CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wonderful Luncheon

It was an extremely marvelous event with women from all over the state and ultimately from all over the world. There were many countries in Central and South American represented, China, Japan, India, Zimbabwe, ummm.. I can't think of what others. Some of the Japanese women wore kimonos and one of the Indian women wore not a sari, but a traditional top and those pants that I know the name of, but can't recall. I met women who are social workers, stay at home moms, CEOs, eight-t0-fivers like me, authors, government officials, not-for-profit employees, and just TONS of women who are really interesting and really cool. They seated us so we couldn't sit with people we already knew and then switched us at one point so we would meet another set of people. An amazing afternoon. Cheri Daniels, the Governor's wife, was the worst speaker. She gave what seemed like an often repeated speech about how women should watch their heart health and get 30 minutes of exercise daily. Okay, fine points, but huh? The other two speakers told some of their life stories, One was from an impoverished village in Mexico where most females are married at 13 or 14 and she just finished her PhD and graduated last week. The other is from Azores islands and finished an Ivy League education and is now a professor. They told how they ended up in Indiana and the choices they made when circumstances were forced upon them. Ultimately this organization wants to publish a book featuring women's stories and how women can end up in amazing situations despite roadbloocks. Might I be one of those women? We'll see.

Happy today for: optimism and hope, despite the gloomy rain. Good traveling companions. That I took it upon myself to have personal cards printed a few months ago, though it seemed like a foolish expense. They came in handy today and I made several wonderful contacts.

Coming back to add: I am sure I will go back to work tomorrow and Secret Crush will tell me how badly he missed me and he just HAS to see me this weekend - right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, did Cherri Daniels mention that the song "Yeah" by usher is her favorite? Because it is. Just checking.
Heather