CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 10, 2008

My spinach Quiche

turned out really good. Michael liked it and ate HALF:

9 inch pie crust.
three eggs
1 cup yogurt (I used non-fat)
1 Tbsp flour
salt
pepper
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 pepper chopped (I used yellow. I think red would be prettier, but I wanted to save it for the veggie tray for the party tomorrow!)
about 1 and a half tsp chopped garlic
about 3/4 bag fresh spinach
about 1 cup grated swiss cheese

DON'T pre-bake the pie crust! :) Preheat oven to 425.

Sautee onion, pepper, garlic in a little olive oil until they start to soften and onions are beginning to become translucent, but don't let them caramelize. Add the spinach and toss it until it wilts. Take the veggies off the heat.

Mix the eggs, yogurt, flour, salt and pepper with whisk, stir in the cheese and then the veggies. Pour into pie crust. Bake at 425 for fifteen minutes, then turn oven down and bake about 30 minutes longer or until set in center.

I thought of adding some Rosemary because we really like it, but decided to start pretty basic this time. Next time I'll experiment some more. A lot of the recipes I looked at had mushrooms, but Hippie Boy doesn't really like them. I think they would be a good combo with the spinach, however, especially if your household doesn't like the peppers and onions as much as we do.

If you think about 8 servings from three eggs, one cup of non-fat yogurt and about 4 oz of cheese, it's probably not too calorific. I could go to fit day and figure it out, but I'm too lazy. The crust is probably the worst part, health-wise. If you made a homemade crust and used whole wheat or made a hungry girl type crust based on crushed up Fiber one (but it has kind of a sweet taste) so the fiber would slow down the carbs, it would be better for you.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Yum, yum to quiche. But I do slightly pre-bake my pie crusts. Only partly because I layer some onions and mushrooms at the bottom with cheese on top to have that layer at the bottom. More goodies in the egg mix float to the top.

Last week I bought a tray of eighteen eggs to make a few more quiche, and to experiment with one as a pesto quiche. Just may add spinach to that one. Thanks for the thought, Hopie!