CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Almost ready!

Just a few hours until I take Michael to take the bus to the airport and off to France. We shopped and stuff like crazy yesterday, but today we stayed home and he finished packing. We worked on the yard. We listened to the radio - Byron was on St. Paul Sunday. I didn't even know he was doing the show this week. I knew he was going to Seattle to play, but I thought just concerts, then Michael yelled, "Byron Schenkman's on the radio!" So we got to hear him play a really interesting piece - harpsichord again, when he has been switching to modern piano. I got sunburned spending too long in the yard in my battle with creeping Charlie. Michael worked on the Canada Thistle and dug up a bunch and got the grape tomato plants in. We talked a lot. I played stupid time-wasting computer games. We were just very relaxed. A nice way to spend a Sunday. A little stress came after the orchestra rehearsal tonight when we found out the rule was no shorts at all - we hadn't understood that. Also, the bow case was too long for Michael's bag he had packed. Luckily the bow cases fit in Sofia and Alexander's suitcase so I had to run Michael's over to the Berteloni-Meli household. So Michael's bow is already on its first leg of the journey!
I think Michael is set with money after all my worries. He's taking a prepaid Visa card for times he has to sign and also the debit card to get Euros from ATMs or times he has to swipe and use a PIN. Rebecca says she thinks Jane's estimate of $40 a day is high and that I shouldn't worry too much. Gillian loaned us a passport/document and money thing you strap around your waist to avoid pickpockets, which I guess is a very bad problem in Paris. She's not leaving for Australia until after Michael gets back, so that worked out well.
Really all I ended up buying for the trip was clothes, which Michael needed anyway. Much of that was from Goodwill or Opportunity house anyway. I think the only things we bought new were socks, swim trunks, and one shirt, which was on mega-clearance at Old Navy. I'm not sure if I'm totally correct on that but it seems right. I had purchased some shorts at Wal-mart earlier this week, but Michael wasn't with me and he has deemed them not long enough so when he gets back with my debit card, I will return those!
I feel good about him taking the trip. I feel great about him getting to be first chair. We talked some today about this is a good opportunity to demonstrate his leadership and judgment skills to Jane. Even though she is not a math or science teacher she has known him the longest and she may be a teacher he will ask for letters or rec. for scholarships or for these exclusive little colleges he wants to attend. He talked like he had already thought about that part of it. I peeked in on rehearsal tonight and I could tell he was working hard to stay very focused and NOT be the one to need to be told to shush. Alexander is sitting 2nd chair so I hope he does not cause trouble by talking to Michael at the wrong times. Alexander just doesn't know when to reel it in sometimes. I hope Michael can be assertive enough with a friend to also be a good section leader.
SO = positive thoughts toward punctuality in the morning and a GREAT journey for Michael.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Good travel thoughts toward Michael, and good missing his company thoughts your way, Hopie.

I'll look forward to a vegeterian's thought 'bout the bread.