CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Yawn...

I lay down in bed to start watching "Bonneville" and promptly fell asleep. I woke up about 10:30. Now I have played online, checked messages, had a snack and am about ready to go back to bed. I need to take my medicine and I want to fill my pill case for the week first. It is much easier for me to remember to take my medicine and lets me know when something is running out ahead of time if I keep up on that.

Work was the same way again. Donna got really angry with me at one point, but I was overly sweetly grateful in return so we didn't get any further with it. She did some math figuring rates for the customer she helped with and I haven't checked it yet. She doesn't have a good record of doing the math correctly and there have been times I have had to fix it. We'll see tomorrow. My favorite time today was when the IT guys were working on Joyce's computer and had to use mine to compare to hers to try to find the differences. I was able to get rid of a bunch of recycling and do a little sorting and generally make my mess a little less. Maybe I need to make a sign " Make the mess a little less, every day in some little way." until I get caught up! I have my "Attitude of Energy" sign up right now and I swear it helps!

Positive thoughts toward a positive, productive and health day tomorrow.

A little blurb from the blog on Michael's trip, written by Carol Kugler:

Wednesday is a full day: Everyone had to be up by 6:30 a.m., breakfast at 7 a.m. and on the bus headed for Caen at 7. This isn't a typical week for us, or the French: There are hundreds of extra people, many in U.S. Army jeeps and vehicles heading to Caen with us.

The first stop is The Abbaye aux Hommes (Men's Abbey), which was built in 1063 by William the Conqueror. The abbey was actually begun before William became King of England. The building is magnificent inside and out. Across the busy street stands the shell of a cathedral that was bombed during World War II. What a contrast to the abbey, which survived intact.

The second stop of the day is the Peace Memorial. There was too much to see in too little time, but we did see the amazing video that tells the story of World War II and D-Day. Then it was on the buses again to go to Normandy American Cemetery, We were told the place is usually quiet and peaceful. It's a little less so today, as preparations are under way for the June 6 anniversary. A stage was set up over the pond in front of the stage at the cemetery.

At 3 p.m., chimes began. The Hoosier Youth Philharmonic waited and listened patiently in their seats, instruments at the ready. Almost 15 minutes later, the chimes, music and taps were over and they began to play. Crowds of people stopped to listen to the music. Some were soldiers, some were Americans, many were French. Others were German.

After the wonderful performance, most of the group walked to Omaha Beach. The way down was beautiful, the sun was shining and the breeze was cool. The channel water was at low tide, just as it was when the forces landed 65 years ago. After playing in the water and looking back at the remains of some of the German batteries on the hillside above, the group started its walk back.

Now it was when student and adult alike started to realize how far away that hillside was. The sand slowed down footsteps and the hill loomed large. Just as most people had reached the top of the hill, a C47 plane flew overhead, stopping most in their tracks. The plane used to carry paratroopers to the French shores passed over one more time as the group left.

Then it was a rush to get students, instruments, music and everything else loaded in the buses for a mad dash to the next stop, the parish church of St. Aubin Sur Mer, for another concert, this one longer than the first. The cool, quiet church filled with French folk who came to listen to the students from America. After an hour of performance, the audience rose to its feet, clapping. One French woman was crying.

Now we are back in Lisieux, tired and very happy after a wonderful day and delicious dinner.

No comments: