CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 6, 2009

two nights in a row

with no nap. Tonight I went to Target to pick up some medicine and ask the pharmacist a question. I continued my search for the lawnmower blade. I tried to be a good townie and went to Bloomington hardware, but they only stock the 21" blades because they are most common. So I had to trek across town to Lowe's. I looked around for a long time. I found a ceiling fan I really like and it is only $100. I wonder how much it costs to get one installed. I don't think I am brave enough to try it. I saw someone I know at Lowe's and was social for a little bit. After Lowe's I went to grab something to eat and brought it home. I have been playing computer and watched What Not To Wear and worked a little on the house. I want this room, formerly known as Katie's room, formerly known as the purple room, formerly known as Emily's room (and a few others here and there!) to be cleaned and organized. I packed up the last remnants of Katie's stuff. She has moved back into her house and has a new dog, Harvey, to keep her company. I am a little afraid that she will be hurt that I packed her stuff up, but she also knows how the clutter can make me crazy and how I am on the eternal quest for organization, so I really think it will be okay in the end.

I have been thinking about this all day because I was hugely tempted to take a picture of a dead snake in the road. The second large one I have seen in the past couple of weeks, in almost the very same spot. So I decided to make an odd list:

FIVE EXTREMELY STRANGE THINGS IN WHICH I AM INTERESTED OR HAVE SOME ODD FASCINATION:
1) Roadkill - I think it is really interesting how sometimes they hardly look dead, or funny when they are frozen with all four paws up in the air, almost like it's fake. I am especially interested in snakes when they are dead in the road because when we were little and would drive down the curvy country road (especially the one to Aunt Dodie's house), my parents would always point to the curving road warning signs and say, "There's a snake in the road ahead," Plus, I just really like snakes and even though the road-kill snakes are dead, I think it's cool to see what large snakes live in my neighborhood! I am not fascinated to a morbid extreme, I promise. I get completely grossed out when something is really squished or guts are visible. I would never take a picture of something like that. I warn you that someday, however, you may open my page to find some cute or interesting roadkill. I guess if Sarah can post poop pictures I can post dead animals, right?

2) Large or strange statues businesses use for advertising purposes. I have had my picture taken with a large cow, a carved Yeti, and astronaut so far. There is one I am dying to get up in Pendleton - a pink elephant holding a martini in its trunk! Now that I have the digital camera, anything is fair game.

3) I like fake insects, snakes, lizards, frogs and such. Every once in a while I buy something like that and just put them in fun places around the house until I get tired of them. I bought some really colorful lizards for Christmas stockings and there are still a couple in plant pots around the house. There is also the spider outside the door I really love. I have a container of 300 plastic flies in the closet right now and I am thinking of something fun for them... maybe a cake decoration.

4) I like Happy Meal toys. I wouldn't really say that I collect them, but every once in a while I find one so cute or funny that I just HAVE to have it. I especially like the ones that talk or move. I had a "Donkey" from Shrek that I kept in the car until its batteries wore out. When you moved his tail he would ask, "Are we there yet?" or say, Shrek!." I was sad when his batteries died. I think my favorite is my Stuart Little Mouse in the little wind-up car. I usually de-clutter and get rid of them eventually, or give them to some child who visits and expresses a lot of interest in one, but usually I am sad to part with them.

5) I love pens, stationery and office supplies. This is kind of ironic, because I seldom write real letters. The pens don't have to be nice, even. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite kind is a type that they stock at the Dollar Tree only at back to school time. I usually buy at least a couple of 10 packs and that usually gets me through the year. I feel a special sense of pride if I use a pen until the ink runs out, rather than losing it first. I love metallic gel pens. One of my favorite memories is that when I filled out and addressed the invitations for Mom and Dad's 50th Wedding Anniversary party, I used my gold gel pen and I thought it looked fabulous. That was ummm. EIGHT years ago and I still remember it fondly. I guess that is one of my examples of how I like to let the little things in life make me happy and enjoy all that I can!


All right - just five demonstrations of what an unusually interesting person I am... I hope you've enjoyed.

Dad had some kind of crisis this morning and couldn't walk. Mom had to call the ambulance to come get him. The police came too and when they came in the house they said it smelled like gas. They called the gas company and they came and found TWO leaks. We are lucky they didn't die in the night or the house didn't explode! Mom called me later today and she was crying. She said they didn't keep Dad in the hospital, but sent him home. She feels like he needs to be in a nursing home. I asked her if I could call the Area Agency on Aging and find out about getting them services and she agreed. I called and talked to an intake worker and she told me what information I need to get tho apply for services for them and get them assigned to a case manager. Problem is there is a ONE YEAR wait for case manager. Sigh... I talked to her about him getting around the house and that he ought to be using the walker, but the house is too crowded and messy. She says there is a volunteer service that will help the elderly with housecleaning and gave me the number so I can call them. So that is on the agenda for Monday. She also said I need to have them give one of us Power of Attorney. She emailed me a list of attorneys in the area who specialize in elderly. I didn't see anybody I know, unfortunately. I feel like I need to go up, but I just don't even know when I can go. If I went tomorrow I'd have to go early in the morning and return for a meeting by 6:00. I know it sounds selfish and terrible, but I just don't think my own mental and physical health could handle it. I do plan to talk to Mom again tomorrow and let her know what I found out, and what information I need so we can get them on that list. I really wish they would have found a place they liked and moved last fall. If they were here it would be so easy for me to go over and wash dishes a couple of nights a week and for Michael to go over and help out, at least until he goes to college. Maybe I am feeling inspired to clean this room because we need to think of that as a possible solution. I just don't know if my need for solitude could handle it - again I feel so selfish.

I need to figure this all out. I wish I had lots of money so we wouldn't have to go through social services and could just HIRE people to help when needed. Alas, that is NOT the case.

Well, positive thoughts toward finding some good way. Maybe as I get my health more in control I can travel more and help more often.

1 comment:

Ann said...

About eight years before my grandma had her stroke, she sold her house and moved into a small apartment that was a mission of the Catholic church. It was a secure building in a not so great neighborhood, brand new, behind a beautiful old church. She had to be able to live independently to live there, but meals on wheels came every weekday for at least one meal (lunch) and it was like $.75 for a nice big lunch. Her rent was based on her social security and she never had to touch the proceeds of her house sale except for big things (like buying a car).

Look around for something like that in Bloomington, or even Indianapolis. Get their house sold and into a smaller apartment setting near you that doesn't have so much maintenance, where you can visit frequently but not have to have them live with you.