CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 14, 2011

So - watching "Hoarders" tonight...

I pegged one family as Mormon. It seems to me that there are many visibly Mormon families featured on the show. Telltale signs include artwork, clothing, location and vocabulary. It reminded me of my own post last night, reveling in my grapefruit spoons and how they remind me of my grandmother.

I pondered:
Sometimes I wonder if there are so many Mormons on "Hoarders" because the family history thing teaches people to attach an actual spiritual value to objects.

and got several replies:
  • Joy Shayne Laughter Really? Interesting! I'll take Buddhism's non-attachment and meditations on impermanence any day.
    about an hour ago · · 1
  • Hope E Golightly Me too!
    about an hour ago ·
  • Ken Spaulding Mormons are nothing if not materialistic...
    about an hour ago ·
  • Hope E Golightly I don't want to click "Like" because I don't like it, but I definitely agree. Maybe I was too poor to stay Mormon!
    about an hour ago · · 1
  • Ken Spaulding FB needs an "agree" button more than a "like" button
    about an hour ago ·
  • Hope E Golightly Agree!
    about an hour ago ·
  • Ken Spaulding You agree...but you don't like it. OK
    59 minutes ago · · 1
  • Nan Harvey
    Interesting. Does the Mormon family history thing include keeping items that belonged to their ancestors? I'm not Mormon, but the genealogy thing does make me hang on to old photos and heirlooms more than I might have otherwise. I'm driven more by puzzle solving when I work on genealogy, though there is a spiritual aspect to feeling the connection between myself and those became before, as well as the interconnection with people living today....See More
    49 minutes ago ·
  • Nora Chisnell Food storage!
    42 minutes ago · · 1
  • Mylese Tucker I've never been taught to attach a spiritual value to an object.
    33 minutes ago ·
  • Nora Chisnell And saving supplies (crap) for the apocalypse.
    32 minutes ago · · 1
  • Sarah Pechin Pacheco Born and raised Mormon, and have never put a spiritual attachment to an object, nor have I ever heard of that. Ever. I know a lot of hoarders who aren't Mormon, it seems to be a personality trait more than anything.
    29 minutes ago ·
  • Joe Manning psychometry
    28 minutes ago ·
  • Missy Too At least in the past, my family was crazy with food storage. Store, then toss. Now they mostly hoard things bought at the mall, gift others to the storehouse, other members, then buy some more. The Shopalot Ward, Mall Branch!
    27 minutes ago · · 1
  • Hope E Golightly The Spirit of the Lord is the spirit of love that may eventually overcome all human family estrangements as it builds bridges between the generations. It binds beloved grandparents, now deceased, with the grandchildren who never knew them by preserving and sharing their histories and keepsakes. (From Mormon dot org.)
    21 minutes ago ·
  • Hope E Golightly
    Diaries, scrapbooks, letters, and copies of speeches will yield more information about your relatives than a lock of hair, a handcrafted item, or a personal belonging. But don’t disregard such personal artifacts! They evoke a love and emotion more informational items cannot reproduce. Such artifacts can also contribute photographic and emotional substance to a compiled personal history. (Ensign Magazine February 1987).
    13 minutes ago ·
  • Hope E Golightly I'm sure there is more documentation, but I need to do my bedtime rituals and I am not an arguer.
    9 minutes ago ·
  • Markie Ellett hehehe....I love ex-followers.
    2 minutes ago ·
  • Hope E Golightly I'm not a bitter Ex - just observational.
    about a minute ago ·
(Note to Too) I would try to hide peoples' names, but I figure if they post it on Facebook it's already public.)

But the true observation is that those who are still "safely" ensconced in Mormonism had one perspective, the Ex-Mormons recognize it in the same way I do (except Joe, who seems strangely passive!), and the Never Mormons just seem curious. I don't really intend to ever spark a political or religious discussion, I seriously just don't care for it. I venture to say, however, that I am glad my little question quickly rendered some comments. When I watch Hoarders or Biggest Loser or shows about morbid obesity it is often with a dual reason 1) To scare myself out of unhealthy behavior by observing how negative results can be 2) a little Schadenfreude, "at least I'm not that bad." I think my feelings tonight were sparked by my own recent joy in a fucking grapefruit spoon.

I want to be able to enjoy my favorite things, but I need to remember that the joy is truly the memory of the person and events that the objects represent. There is no intrinsic spiritual value and no reward except personal satisfaction or historical knowledge to be gained in the retention or maintenance of such items.

It sounds silly, but I am grateful for Hoarders! I'm also grateful that I have the intellectual capacity and the ability to enjoy it as entertainment and at the same time to gain a little knowledge that should help me in my personal growth - I'm not flawed or bad because I value objects and keep too many, I was trained that way, not only by the behaviors of my family of origin, but by the belief system in which I was emerged.

No comments: