Friday, November 25, 2011

Not REALLY Thursday

I didn't make an entry on Thursday because I WAS SICK. I cooked a huge Thanksgiving meal of 1,2,3,4,5, maybe 6 courses... maybe more. Let's see, turkey, quinoa main dish, dressing, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy (two kinds), pumpkin pie (10 total) and cheesecake. Debby brought rolls and Vivek brought a wonderful, homemade mushroom soup. I sat down to eat and had absolutely no appetite - unusual for me. I ate some of the soup and then filled my plate with all the other yummy stuff and sort of looked at it. I ate half a deviled egg, a little bit of mashed potatoes and gravy, and maybe a couple of other bites. My head hurt and I kept catching myself rubbing my head, but I wasn't connecting all the dots. After dinner we all just sat around the table and talked a little bit, but never did talk about going to the Muppet movie like I had suggested. Michael said he wanted to stay home and watch a movie and Vivek decided he wanted to go home and crash so Michael and Debby and I went to the family room, I spread a quilt on the floor and went to sleep. I slept for so long and so soundly that Michael and Deb got up and ate cheesecake and I didn't even know it.

When I awakened I realized that the reason I had no appetite was because I had a true migraine. Argh. I took some pain killers, but it didn't help. I sipped a ginger ale so my blood sugar wouldn't plummet. I tried taking a bath. I tried some of the usual tricks to no avail. By 3am I had slept a little more, but was up and dry heaving and crying in the bathroom. :( Sadness. I decided it was close enough to morning to take the meds with caffeine and eventually went back to sleep. When I woke up again the pain had reduced to the foggy/hangover stage. I was able to make it to work. I only sipped ginger ale and nibbled pretzels until lunch. At lunch I went home and had some leftovers. I also tasted the cheesecake. I swear it is one of the best cheesecakes I have ever made. It is so good I brought it back here and I'm trying to make sure it gets eaten up. I usually hardly even eat my cheesecakes, but I am afraid I will eat more than one piece of this one and it is not even chocolate - that is how good it is. Since I ate I feel a little bit queasy, but I don't think vomiting will occur. As the morning pain killers wear off my head hurts a little bit, but I am going to try to make it the rest of the day with no more medicine.

I still have cleaning up to do at home - I never actually got it all clean to start with. Listen - I was so relaxed I actually had people over without freaking out about the house and I was late serving dinner! I hardly believe it's me. The bad part is that I feel weird about it now. It was the first time Vivek came over and he probably thinks I let the house be like that all the time. I hate to tell somebody who is just getting to know me that I basically had a migraine that lasted a month and getting to work and surviving had to be the first priority. eek! I hope the new doctor might have some more solutions. So far the "alternative" healing methods don't seem to have helped much. I am probably ready to try a medical approach again, but not a million drugs like Dr. Andry.

I'd like to go downtown tonight to the tree lighting ceremony. I feel like I need to take plan making about an hour at a time and just see how I feel. If I get all excited about going and then feel too bad to go I will just be really disappointed. I think I am treating myself like a three year old, but that is about the way I feel about the holidays!

Despite it all I am grateful, glad Deb felt comfortable coming over - things have been tense with her unusual situation. Even though she is not staying with me right now I feel like our roles are a little bit different than they have ever been. It's a dance we don't really know. I'm glad Michael came home from the Occupation for a couple of nights. It meant a lot to me, not just because I needed his help, but because even though he drives me nuts when he lives at home, I still miss him! When I hurt so badly last night he really sweetly tried to comfort me. He is truly one of the most compassion-driven people I know. I'm glad Emily called me today (maybe this should go on tonight's entry) and we had a nice little talk. I'm a little sad because it was while I was still working on the morning online submissions and I couldn't pay full attention or talk as long as I would have liked, but she was on her work break so she probably really couldn't have talked too much longer anyway.

No comments: