CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Weekend Photo Essay Part 4: Richmond Schools

This is Rose Hamilton Elementary School. I went here for part of first grade, I am pretty sure, but I don't remember my teacher's name. For second grade I had Mrs. Stapleton. She was young and blond and I adored her. For third grade I had Mrs. Slick. She had red hair and played drums in a band. Sometimes when we sould go downtown to listen to music on the "Promenade" they built on Main Street (no longer there) we would see her band. She would always give me a special smile and a wink while she played. This is the entrance where the buses dropped us off, so I always thought of it as the main entrance of the school.
I believe this is the true main entrance, or at least it has become so now.
Just a nice shot of the entrance and the sign. One thing I loved about Rose Hamilton. It had a big grassy field in the back and had a "Field Day" at the end of every school year. They had different races and games and stuff. I remember one egg race, there the competitors balanced a raw egg on a spoon and ran the race. I was accused of putting my thumb on the egg during the race. I recall heartily denying it, but when I think back, I think I really did do it. I was a cheater!

This is the playground of Baxter Elementary school. I went there for part of third grade and then fourth grade. My third grade teacher was a man - it may have been Mr. Gossage, but I am not sure. I do recall that he had a handlebar moustache and I thought it was cool. My fourth grade teacher was Mrs. Schmidt. I attended this school when we lived on E Street. We walked to school and I remember the first day I had to walk home I got lost and was really, really scared. I think I finally found my way home and Mom just yelled at me for taking so long to get home. Sigh.
I think of this as kind of an "inner city" school. I remember that it had a summer program that I believe was free. We went to it and I recall loving to play that "Carom" game and the "Skittles" where the spinner knocks down the pins. Also at least once the fire department came with a water truck and sprayed the firehoses for us to play in the water. That was neat.
When I visited last weekend, it looks like the school is now being use for a Headstart- like program and only the lower elementary grades. I didn't drive past any new schools nearby, however, so I am not sure. Also the playground equipment still looks like it is for older children. Maybe the signs for the preschool program are only for a summer thing.
This is another school where I think we always went in another entrance. The only time I remember using this one was one day when I really didn't want to be at school and I faked a cough so well that they had Mom come and get me even though I didn't have a fever. I remember getting TB tested here. I remember often skipping lunch and going to eat a can of soup with my friend Renee, who lived right next door to the school. I would save my lunch money and use it to buy candy bars and cigarettes at the gas station. Oh I was a BAD fourth grader!!
I also remember that we had "sex education" in fourth grade in this school and my mom was the only parent who came. I was so embarrassed. When I remember that now it seems odd. In so many ways I felt very neglected and ignored by my parents, yet that is a very good parenting thing to do....hmmmm. things to think about.

I also attended one more school in elementary school in Richmond. When we lived on 19th Street I went to Charles School. I didn't think about taking school pictures until after I was in that area, however and didn't feel like going back. I think I could have found it. It was amazing to me how I remembered the layout and geography of the town. We moved away when I was nine and until this trip I had only been back one time that I recall. I just looked up the Charles webpage and they have built a new school, so it would have been a fruitless search anyway! I was also able to confirm that Baxter is now an "Early Learning and Family Literacy Center" full-time.

In other news - poison ivy sucks. My right arm is covered I have various mini-spots on my left arm, each leg and my left cheek and get this - my left nipple! Now I admit to being stupid and cutting trees and vines while wearing a tank top and shorts, but I swear I had my shirt on the entire time. I also did not reach up into my shirt and touch my left nipple! My guess is that I got some of the oils on it in the shower before they got all washed off. Talk about that dreaded left nipple itch, we all know so well, the one where you press your arm up against your chest while you keep smiling happily when all you really want to do is scream and maybe writhe around on the floor scratching your left nipple... I've been walking around with my arm pressed against my chest so much it may freeze in that position! I may get a permanent disability from this case of poison ivy! I tried to take a picture of my right arm last night, but the flash made it too white to really see the rash. I guess I could take a picture of my left nipple...isn't that what digital cameras are all about?

No comments: