CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas Questions

Welcome to the Christmas edition of getting to know your friends. Okay, here's what you're supposed to do, and try not to be a SCROOGE!!! Just Copy (not forward) this entire email and paste into a new e-mail that You can send. Change all the answers so that they apply to you. Then Send this to a whole bunch of people you know, INCLUDING the person that sent it to you.

'Tis the Season to be NICE!

Well, I am not doing it as an email - just a thinking/ writing/ time wasting piece of.... oh wait! Piece of fun! I went more shopping today at Salvation Army and bought a couple of things I am totally PSYCHED about, including upholstery fabric samples that should be perfect for making Michael's chalk bag, now I just have to figure out HOW. The fabric was only 50 cents - by time I get stuff to make loops and a big caribiner it will probably be a few bucks, but they sell for around eighteen dollars minimum at the gym so it will definitely be a savings.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Mostly wrapping paper and I use a different theme each year. I am crazy about this year's theme. I bought very fancy gift tags on clearance last year and saved cards with pictures I thought would make good gift tags. All my paper is either white, which I get for free at work, or brown kraft paper and then I have cloth ribbon and bows and fancy gift tags and cutouts from the cards. We also wrap each stocking item individually, but don't use the theme for them because Santa fills the stockings and they don't wait under the tree. Usually Heather and Emily and I stay up late on Christmas Eve and wrap the stocking gifts.

2. Real tree or artificial?
I bought an artificial tree a couple of years ago on clearance and we use it, but it is a pain in the ass to put together and nobody likes to do it. It is still not up, but I have FIVE small trees up! We will go back to real some day because I have read that it is actually environmentally okay because they are farmed anyway.

3. When do you put up the tree?
I would sure like to have it up already. If I get the house clean today (which will be hard with this sinus bordering on migraine headache) I will ask Michael to help me do it tomorrow. That is the beauty of fake, you can have it up longer.

4. When do you take the tree down?
After New Year's Day, probably after Epiphany.

5. Do you like eggnog?
No, but Michael and my dad do, so I usually buy a quart so they can have some.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
Probably Baby Tenderlove (Susie)

7. Do you have a Nativity scene?
I have one that my ex brother in law made for us, but we did not put it out last year and probably won't this year because of our heathenishness - I don't really dislike the Jesus-ishness of Christmas at all, loving the traditions and the music, but I don't think the nativity is that attractive and would rather use the space for cute snowmen and Christmas trees.

8. Hardest person to buy for?
Maybe Michael, maybe my dad.

9. Easiest person to buy for?
I don't know. I don't really have an easy time "buying" for anybody. I tend to make instead of buy, and I tend to buy something any time of year if I see something someone should have, instead of saving for a holiday or something.

10. Worst Christmas Gift you ever received?
Maybe the bright red acrylic sweater. I don't like red or acrylic - (except I do knit a lot of acrylic hats, I know that is a contradiction, but hats need to be washable, see, and affordable for me to knit, and I give most of them away so I never recoup my expense, and I usually use nice, textured yarn, at least!)

11. Mail or email Christmas cards?
I'd like to mail, and if I don't mail I won't email either. I used to write a big letter every year, but I haven't done it for a couple of years and now we are dropping off peoples' lists. We're still here and alive! I am just poor and disorganized. I am trying to get my address book in order and do some cards this year, but I don't know if it will really happen.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Hmmmm.... I really don't know. Maybe "A Christmas Story"

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
The day after Christmas if I have money! That is when I choose my theme and gift wrap for the next year so I can get it on clearance!i

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Oh sure, I totally believe in regifting - and then the gift the person gave you is the money you saved in getting the gift for the next person. It is much better for somebody who will truly enjoy and item to have it then to keep something you won't really need or enjoy.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
I like Christmas dinner to be ham and baked beans and potato salad. I also love cheeseball. This year Heather is cooking so we will probably have turkey, but I think I will still volunteer to make appetizers and make cheeseball and deviled eggs.

16 Clear lights or colored on the tree?
I like them all but we have switched to all white lately.... I used to like blinky, but now I like steady.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
Probably White Christmas, which is ironic because I hate winter so much.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Well someday I would like to do Disney World for Christmas, just because I love Disney World so much.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Of course!

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
I actually have a SNOWMAN now!

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Well we kind of started the pajamas on Christmas Eve thing a few years ago , but then we got too poor to afford new pajamas so it quit! so only Christmas morning! Except Michael really does need new PJs desperately. I wish I could find some used!

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
I don't like it that people start holiday music and stuff so early. I think it makes it not special if you do it too long. and I have a lot of trouble with the cold and snow and darkness and my mental health!

23. What is the "corniest" family tradition you do,
can't think of one! We just aren't any fun, I guess.

I just read my answers to Michael and he thinks it's "corny" that our stocking stuffers are really practical items. We get things like toenail clippers and Q-tips and dental floss and shampoo and mouthwash, but heck at this time of year from SANTA you might get BRAND NAME mouthwash or shampoo! Woo hoo! Also - we do watch "A Christmas Story" every year.

24. Ugliest Christmas Decoration ever invented?
Hmmmm - I just don't know.

25. Which looks best theme trees or homey trees?
Homey. I keep swearing one year I will use only the homemade ornaments on the tree, but Emily likes the shiny stuff.

26. Gingerbread or sugar cookies?
I like both. I like to make ginger bread Christmas trees a lot and they are vegan so everybody can eat them (unless you have the gluten thing!)

27. Do you like Fruitcake(s)?
Actually - they have a cheap fruitcake at the Hostess bread store that I love, but I only need like two pieces of it and then I am done for the year. I need to get one soon!

No comments: