CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 7, 2010

My Favorite Things #7


Old Books - volume 2 (haha!) This is one that I took from Mom and Dad's house this summer. (See, Mom, I did NOT throw everything away!) I especially love when I find a book that has an inscription in it. This one is a triple find - old book, inscription, and family history. Uncle Charles was my mother's brother. He died way back when I was married to Ed, so maybe 20 years ago. I have a few other things from his house. I LOVED his house in Lafayette. If I would ever move back to Lafayette (Chances of that are really slim to none) I would LOVE to buy that house. Cutest house ever with all hardwood floors and just cuteness everywhere. Uncle Charles had a player piano in the basement and HUNDREDS of scrolls of music. We LOVED playing that player piano. Part of the reason I know the lyrics to so many old songs is from pumping away at that old player piano and hearing the songs and all the scrolls had the lyrics on them so of course, I sang along. When Grandma and Grandpa Holt would come visit from Arizona they would stay at Uncle Charles's house and it was the place for many a family party. I feel pleased that I have a few items from his home, and I feel especially pleased to have this little book. Uncle Charles served his country in a day when he could have been completely discriminated against. Even today he wouldn't be able to "tell" and I am proud that my uncle did what he thought was right and was a wonderful person.

No comments: