CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 15, 2012

I know it's not real, but I've been watching Desperate Housewives. It's entertaining, but it makes me wonder - do people really lie to each other all the time? Every bump that comes in the housewives friendships or families seems to happen because somebody is dishonest with somebody else.

A few times in my life I have been hurt in some way or lost something by trusting people. I always want to assume that everyone is as nice as I am. Maybe I should start thinking another way, that people are usually dishonest and I need to do what I can to protect myself. It sounds like a miserable way to live.

I feel petty talking about something that seems so trivial, with the occurrence yesterday of the horrible elementary school shooting in Connecticut. What if those families, that school system, those teachers had chosen to live without trusting that public school is a safe place for children, that visitors to the school should be welcome, that classrooms are happy places? Would all  those families be doing the same old Saturday stuff today?

Maybe I am just rambling now. This really just started because I was going to make a FB post of the first paragraph, but then I started feeling like it is not profound enough to be posted when we are feeling this grief as a nation.  Maybe I'm just embarrassed to be so shallow. I want to stay home and watch Desperate Housewives through the end of the show. It's rainy and cold and gray. I can't think of a better day to stay home alone all day. Tonight is Heather's choir show, though and Lisa and John and the babies want me to come visit. There's medicine to pick up at the store and more things I could be doing. Sigh.

No comments: